Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Pitbull terrier park identification

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dog Breeds Pitbull terrier park identification

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    justpetdogs

[quote author=xxpsychexx link=topic=13029.msg251408#msg251408 date=1226657381]…pitbulls, because if they were kept according to the law, then there would be very little need to recourse to that.
    [/quote]

To be honest, if they were kept according to the law there would be no pitbulls alive in this country any more since the DDA was introduced 18 years ago (1990), required individuals belonging to the listed breeds to be neutered (and the other provisions) and made it illegal to import any more …therefore, unless there’s one or two toothless, doddery old eighteen-year-old PBs still hobbling around somewhere, the breed should be extinct in this country!  When the legislation was brought in, two of the listed breeds didn’t even exist in this country!

Marion

P.S.  And if everyone drove according to the law, there would be no-one killed in road accidents in this country either…but we haven’t banned Honda Civics, or Rover 200s, or Vauxhall Astras, or Ford Fiestas, or any other ‘breed’ of car yet!

Anonymous

Hi,

i just wanted to add that even ‘good’ dogs have bad days or stressful situations and can be aggressive.  Bonnie will ‘manage’ certain situations with a fight because she has had success previously with this way of working if she is pushed and all the elements are in place but she isnt an aggressive dog and I wouldnt ever keep her confined to a lead or muzzled. 

I can read her well and read other dogs through her reaction – this means she is virtually always 1 step ahead of me on any more complex behaviours so as soon as I see her telling me there’s difficulties I already know the other dog is putting out bad signals and we either pass offlead heel or if I am reasonably confident the other dog wont run over to us and am really concerned about the whole situation I will sometimes put her on her lead and walk the other way.

Would your perception of the situation change if you got chatting with the owner and they told you their dog was a bull lurcher or am bulldog x …?  I just wondered as both breeds can look very very APBT ‘type’ and very like the breed itself too.

Claire.

I fully understand your point regarding people’s views of your rotties, as my dog is, not rottie big, but big, and as such I believe I need to have him under stricter control than perhaps someone with a cocker spaniel, mostly because size is intimidating, and a bigger/stronger dog can do more damage than a little one undertaking the same action.

i feel that it is a mistake to have an oppinion like that as little dogs can, and do, do as much damage as bigger dogs.

as for dagerouse dogs, my boy stan is a big softy yet if a dog comes bounding over to him he will have a go and tell them to back off and to the most part i let him get on with it because i feel that if an owner if neglegent enough to let their dog go bounding over to an unknown dog then that dog deserves a telling off

Anonymous

Some memories on here are short was it not only two tears ago that my Victoria Shishi and Mel were attacked by a blue roan cocker when they were with me and miding there own business Mel was saved by her coat Shishi suffered bites and bruising and poor Victoria was mauled had a fractured leg and a badly damaged eye, I had close on a thousand pounds worth of vet bills and Victoria was a long time in recovery with two eye operations to save her sight.
    One of there bestest friends is a Staffie, after all my years I will never look at cockers in the same light ever again
    Val

[quote author=kerrie and stan link=topic=13029.msg251500#msg251500 date=1226690977]
    I fully understand your point regarding people’s views of your rotties, as my dog is, not rottie big, but big, and as such I believe I need to have him under stricter control than perhaps someone with a cocker spaniel, mostly because size is intimidating, and a bigger/stronger dog can do more damage than a little one undertaking the same action.

i feel that it is a mistake to have an oppinion like that as little dogs can, and do, do as much damage as bigger dogs.

as for dagerouse dogs, my boy stan is a big softy yet if a dog comes bounding over to him he will have a go and tell them to back off and to the most part i let him get on with it because i feel that if an owner if neglegent enough to let their dog go bounding over to an unknown dog then that dog deserves a telling off
    [/quote]

I remember that Val  :'(

Psyche  – your perception of other dogs/breeds needs to change. YOu cannot go through life thinking well pitbulls will attack my dog but that cute yorkie wont – because its rubbish, any dog is dangerous in the wrong hands with the wrong training, it is very likely that more kids are bitten by terrier types than pitbulls – they just do less damage and the stories dont get out as much. People want dogs on leads except in safe places because of the behaviour of ALL breeds NOT just pitbulls – thats a very closeminded view in my opinion.

i remember that aswell val :-*

Justine&Rafe

My personal belief is that the “blame the deed not the breed” ethos is misleading.  My blame is put firmly on the owners.

As far as a little dog doing as much harm as a bigger dog – damn straight it can, but not when doing the same action – which was what I said.  If a big dog ran up to a child and jumped up at it, the child would probably go flying and could get quite seriously hurt.  If a terrier jumped up at the same kid, the likelihood is that he would end up with muddy paw prints on his clothes.

So owners of bigger dogs need to be proportionately aware of what that size infers to the dog’s actions.

I’m not saying it is more acceptable for a little dog to jump up at someone than a bigger dog, but the consequences WILL be different.  And I absolutely stand by that.

Equally, owners of agressive dogs – like the cocker you were referring to – should be responsible for their dog’s actions.

And Suz, you say yourself that kids may be attacked more by terriers, but they do less damage than for example pitbulls.  To be honest, as irritating as it is, I’m not going to get too worked up if anther dog has a bit of a go at my dog, as longas he doesn’t get hurt.  This is why I’m asking this!!

It seems a little that a lot of people are assuming that I take no responsibility for my dog, which is untrue.  When we’re out he gets applauded for his good behaviour, but he’s not 100%.  Constantly working on it though.

It seems a bit unfair that because I have aired a grievance about pitbull terriers walking loose in a park, it is assumed I have a low opinion of any breed of dog.  This is simply not true.  But we have met some lovely staffies, I’m sure there are nasty ones out there too.  I’ve met nasty flatties.

The difference being that they have rarely had agression deliberately bred into them, and people rarely use them as status symbols or to put forward a mean keep-away-from-my-drugs attitude.  Hence why I would like to know how to tell the difference between a staffie and a pitbull.  Just so I can keep him from even going near the other dog when I see it from a distance.

Anonymous

Still think you might be missing the point you know, you give the impression that you are paying lip service to breed prejudice & perhaps having a slightly ignorant view of the bigger picture. It’s already been pointed out that regardless of breed you shouldn’t be letting your dog run up to dogs he doesn’t know in the first place.

Some Eastern European’s pick people’s pockets on the Bus, does that mean no Eastern European’s should be allowed on public transport because they ‘might’ pick someone’s pocket? The approach you have (wether you see it or not) is effectively tarring all of a certain group with the same brush just because a few of them are a problem.

GSPmad

[quote author=xxpsychexx link=topic=13029.msg251949#msg251949 date=1226915766]
    My personal belief is that the “blame the deed not the breed” ethos is misleading.  My blame is put firmly on the owners.
    Hence why I would like to know how to tell the difference between a staffie and a pitbull.  Just so I can keep him from even going near the other dog when I see it from a distance.
    [/quote]

People use other breeds – including Staffies – for the same purpose – status symbol, protection etc, and as you have said it is the owner’s fault – you are probably better looking at the owner and the canine individual and weighing them up rather than the breed of dog per se. 🙂 Although again in humans as in dogs – appearances can be deceptive.

And I am assuming the aggressive flatties you have met were dog aggressive – I have never yet met a human aggressive one.  🙂 (Though no doubt there is one out there.)

*Nick*

The American Temperament Test Society finds almost no difference in the scores between Pit Bull Terriers and Staffordshire Terriers.    http://www.atts.org
    This test, foolishly does not include reactions to other dogs.

*Nick*

Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    [img width=468 height=351]http://www.bulldogbreeds.com/staffordshirebullterrier/pics/rb_tqrlm.jpg[/img]

American Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    [img width=468 height=351]http://www.bulldogbreeds.com/americanstaffordshireterrier/pics/americanstaffordshireterrier_rb_unvmr.jpg[/img]

American Pit Bull Terrier

Bull Terrier
    [img width=468 height=407]http://www.bulldogbreeds.com/bullterrier/pics/luna.jpg[/img]

American Bulldog
    [img width=468 height=354]http://www.bulldogbreeds.com/americanbulldog/large/american_bulldog_331238.jpg[/img]

*Nick*

If anyone can tell the difference from a distance, well, you’re a lot better than I am.

*Nick*

ooops wait, there’s more

Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog
    [img width=468 height=351]http://www.bulldogbreeds.com/alapahabluebloodbulldog/pics/rb_stlpr.jpg[/img]

Valley Bulldog

GSPmad

Never knowingly seen either of the last 2 in the UK Nick – but as you say it would be hard to tell. Certainly not KC recognised breeds, anyway.

GSPmad

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

This game shows the difficulty as well.  🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime