Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Pitbull terrier park identification

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dog Breeds Pitbull terrier park identification

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    *Nick*

That’s my point Terry. Since every single one of those dogs can potentially rip your dog to shreds before you can say “excuse me, is that a Pit or a Staffy””  it simply doesn’t pay to risk it.    Control your own dog and stay away.

Justine&Rafe

Cheers for the photos Nick!  Had a good giggle when I looked at the pics!!  That was kinda what I’d been after the whole time.  Guess it’s pretty impossible to tell the difference.  The American Staffies in particular look much bigger than their UK counterparts.  Avoid one, avoid all I suppose.  Thanks anyway.

GSPmad – yep, the flattie was just dog agressive, but even that amazed me.  Tho saying that there are plenty of agressive golden retrievers out there (and people who want to breed from them).  Madness.

Weighing up the owners and their dogs certainly does seem like the only option, I’d not considered that people would want staffies for that purpose (perhaps I’ve been sheltered!!), although now looking at the pics I can understand why.  And those I imagine would be just as dangerous as pitbulls – if their owners are encouraging the agressive image.

Mark,, as far as lip service to breed prejudice is concerned, then perhaps I am, and even if breed prejudice has arisen from the bad behaviour of a minority of individuals, if it were your dog, would you risk it?  Can anyone honestly say they would be just as happy letting their dog play with a pitbull as a lab?  Even if the owner said their dog was ok?

Anyway, my boy is stuck inside with Kennel Cough (god knows where from, we don’t do kennels) so he ain’t sniffing anyone’s bum for a few weeks.  Good time to work on his recall and total obedience, I suppose!

Anonymous

[quote author=xxpsychexx link=topic=13029.msg251992#msg251992 date=1226933039]
    Mark,, as far as lip service to breed prejudice is concerned, then perhaps I am, and even if breed prejudice has arisen from the bad behaviour of a minority of individuals, if it were your dog, would you risk it?  Can anyone honestly say they would be just as happy letting their dog play with a pitbull as a lab?  Even if the owner said their dog was ok?

[/quote]

Erm… isn’t that what we’ve been saying to you all along? We don’t risk it because We don’t let our dogs run up to strange dogs we don’t know & put them at risk of attack in the first place, that’s the whole point.

KC can be picked up anywhere, not just kennels. Hope he better soon  🙂

Justine&Rafe

I know, just bad luck for us really, never had a dog come down with it before.  He’s pretty much over it now, but not going to go out for a couple more weeks coz he might still be contagous.

And Mark, I’d probably be more than happy for a lab to run up to him to want to play, but less so for certain other breeds – you might call this prejudice too, but – and I know there are the exceptions, he’s not been hurt yet, so my prejudices have stood me firm so far.  Would you be happy for your dog to play with a pitbull, even if the owner assured you it was ok?

Even if my boy’s in control, that doesn’t necessarily protect him from other dogs – re earlier post on attacking cocker spaniel.  But if you’re aware there may potentially be a problem, you are more prepared and lessen the probability of anything serious happening.

As much as you say I’m being prejudiced in my belief that certain breeds are more inclined to attack than others, it’s a fact; look up any breed specification and there will often be pointers as to whether that breed does or does not get on with other dogs/people/is easy to train/likes water etc etc etc.  I know this is a generalisaton, and there are exceptions to every rule, but the general is what you’re likely to meet in the park.

Anonymous

If it’s a generalization then it’s not ‘Fact’ is it? I give up.  ::)

Justine&Rafe

OK, there’s probably some Chi squared test you could do.

Are you saying that you believe each breed of dog to have exactly the same propensity to attack another?

I also give up.

Im not stating this as fact, but i think its true that more staffies get attacked by other breeds than staffies attacking dogs full stop.  On account of other dogs reading the body language wrong

So owners of bigger dogs need to be proportionately aware of what that size infers to the dog’s actions.
    sorry but i dissagree all dog owners, weather big or small, all need to be equally aware of their dogs

Would you be happy for your dog to play with a pitbull, even if the owner assured you it was ok?
    i would

kizkiznobite

the only totally ‘safe’dog is the dog that has a trained bite on cue
    teach the greet or no greet today…teach the stand offs…teach the into nudge…. learn how dogs communicate and always carry a slip for the rogue dog off leash…lots on here about all this

and i have scars from a resource/defence aggressive flattie….any dog can use aggression especially if s/he has been abused…they are dogs it is a learnt defence..don’t have any scars from pitbull types or staffie types …and a running free dog is a risk until you have assessed it…no dog should just go up to another dog unless cued to do so…we have to protect them from themselves at times…

Justine&Rafe

Cheers kizkiz,

Thanks for the positive (and tactfully put!) advice.

I’m going to block this post today as I think it has pretty much exhausted any avenues of discussion and I don’t want it to end up being a slanging match of differing opinions.

I apologise if I’ve inadvertently upset anyone by my opinions, and if the views expressed by others in this link have offended anyone too. 

I have found that some of the posts on here have been offensive, but I can only hope they weren’t meant that way.

For everyone who has posted helpful information, thank you very much.

Kizkiz, I’m off to check out the things you pointed to; it’s all very well saying keep your dogs away from others, but not much use without saying how, so thanks for the pointers.

kizkiznobite

start with the best place to be in the stickies  🙂

Justine&Rafe

Gotta love them stickies – I’d not even looked properly through them until you pointed them out to me!

Justine&Rafe

Jut a quickie kiz if you’re still there, could you tell me which post to look at on the stickies for the…

teach the greet or no greet today…teach the stand offs…teach the into nudge.

(… me no can do quotes yet)

so anyone who’s made it this far can find them!!

Cheers!

GSPmad
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime