Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Possible recurring muscle strain/sprain, would love advice!

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Possible recurring muscle strain/sprain, would love advice!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Hello, long time no see, have had recurring pooter issues and just started a new job and now the hound is having a bit of jip, would love some advice  :-*

About four weeks ago I had Tobes at the vet, work up Monday morning after a usual Sunday, nothing different been happening and he was holding up his right leg, not putting pressure on it etc and very uncomfortable, no hot spots or marks all very strange.  

Vet manipulated the leg, hips fine, not cruciate as it was not painful there and she suspected a muscle strain, he had some Rimadyl against my better judgement but I couldnt get access to a computer so he had a four day supply, bed rest and since has had a lot of rest.

This weekend I walked him a little further than we have been (he’d been having say 5 shorter walks of 10 mins a day for the last four weeks and we went on a half hour walk on Sat) but he had seemed fine had started taking things in his own stride, jumping up and leaping round the place like a typical terrier (we going to try to stop this as he is probably jumping around a bit too much and begging etc) and after the longer walk on Sat no problems until this morning again, limping, lifting up the leg.  

I suspect a muscle strain as its the same as last time but this all feels a bit odd to have a recurrent strain/sprain, any ideas?  Could it be a recurrent strain?  Is there anything I can give for the pain?  Thanks xx

*Lassie*

Could try an ice pack if he will let you and St John’s wort for the pain, PM Kiz for the dose 😉

Val

I would suggest a Chiro why vets always look at a leg because of a limp never ceases to amaze me.
    Val

Thanks guys good idea on the SJW, Val, re icepack and chiro, he does seem to feel pain on manipulating the leg, could that still be a back thing?  We need to do some more reading if this is a chiro thing, I been looking down the cruciate/leg muscle route

pop a couple photos up if you can – i know Toby is camera shy but if you can  :-*

Wish I could Suz but he’ll run and hide which is the last thing he needs, he hard enough to get out from under the wardrobe when he’s fit!

kizkiznobite

i would give liquid st j w….. holland and barrat do a 100ml bottle with a 1ml shringe…i would do 1/3 shringe twice a day for 3 days then once a day for 3 days then re-assess…what supplements do you give…?

is it front or back leg?

Thanks Bev, should have said its the back right leg and will get the liquid sjw tomorrow AM thanks.  In terms of  supplements  :embarrass: am embarrassed to say none because he’s young and he gets plenty fish oil and other oils for his meals but I was going to ask about those next, I know he doesn’t need calcium because he’s on barf and can’t have b yeast because of his itchy scratchys but what about kelp, and is he too young (he about 5) for flexijoints etc?

*Lassie*

Willow is 5  :yes: I have her on Glucosamine for joints

kizkiznobite

cubert is 1 and been on it since he was 10 weeks…

wouldnt give him sea kelp with out a thyroid test…terriers and thyroid imbalance go hand in hand ….so wouldnt rock the boat

you could give him green lip mussel but would def give gluc and chod.

Thanks everyone, he’s just gotten up after a wee snooze and is starting to try to walk on it so it seems to be easing off, he’s confined to the hall for the next few days so he cannot run and jump around and he seems a bit more chilled out tonight. Bev, re gluc and chod how do I guage quantities, he’s about 5.5kg?

kizkiznobite

it depends which one you buy….

this is a good one

http://www.jointaid.co.uk/joint-aid-for-dogs–250g-p1

Just a quick question, have you bought the JA from this website before Bev, just not sure on whether it’s a secure site?

Thanks x

kizkiznobite

i havnt but know someone that does ….

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime