Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Pre mating…..

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Pre mating…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 177 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Someone said the other day Kodi should get a booster before I mate her? should I, do I have to, says in BOTB that many vets dont favour giving one before or during pregnancy.

Anonymous

i would check her B & T cells before doing anything.  must dash but they’re basically her resistance to vaccine induced illness.

claire.

kizkiznobite

i would get a full titre done…i would also have the herpes vac (CHV ) and the swabs taken for sexually transmitted diseases

Anonymous

swabs for STD’s, for Kodi or the Dog ???

Also Val if you read this, I know theres an opthalmologist nr Woking I had the number last year and cant find it now ::) do you know of one near me by any chance 🙂

ed to add found it ;D

Anonymous
    quote :

When an annual booster vaccination with a modified live virus (MLV) vaccine (i.e. Distemper , Parvovirus or Fe Distemper) is given to a previously vaccinated adult animal – no added protection is provided. Modified live virus vaccines depend on the replication of the virus for a response. Antibodies from previous vaccines do not allow the new virus to replicate. Antibody titres are not boosted significantly, memory cell populations are not expanded. No additional protection is provided.

i dont know if CHV is MLV or not (some human vaccines are not) but above was said by american vet medical assoc.

Dree

I wouldn’t have her done at all…..for anything.  If she’s been vaccinated, then she doesn’t need a booster.  As for a vaccination for herpes. ???  If both bitch and dog are swabbed, there shouldn’t be a problem.  We are over-vaccinating for everything, imo.

kizkiznobite

i dont do standard vacs…but i would have the CHV if i was mating my bestest girl as it is asymptomatic and would not show up on a general swab

Lisa33

Could having the CHV also apply to the stud dog?

Dree

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=12683.msg244962#msg244962 date=1223917221]
    i dont do standard vacs…but i would have the CHV if i was mating my bestest girl as it is asymptomatic and would not show up on a general swab
    [/quote]

Yes, I know, but only “weak” dogs succumb to CHV, which is a weak virus in itself, and easily removed with just household detergents.

http://my-pet-medicine.com/2007/09/24/dog-herpes-infection/
    “If a pregnant female has already been exposed to the virus prior to pregnancy, she usually has sufficient antibodies that can be transferred to the puppies. The puppies are most at risk if the mother contracts the virus during pregnancy, or if other dogs in the same household carry the virus. Therefore, it is important to isolate a pregnant female from other dogs when late in pregnancy, and during the first three weeks after birth, especially if she has no prior exposure to the virus.

The best way to combat this disease is through prevention, since the canine herpesvirus does not survive long in the environment and can easily be destroyed by household detergents.”

kizkiznobite

no…it is not weak dogs that get this…and it is seriously on the increase…bit late to use detergents 3 weeks after exposure in my book and i would not risk my lass this way…

a conducted study in SA has shown a 22% prevalence…girlies rarely show symptoms…minpin only this last week put up a post as has added the story and pictures of a wee boyo infected …my vet has had 4 cases this year…2 in pregnant females…healthy girls, well kept etc and 2 boys…

Dree

The prevalence is more like 80 – 100%, which means that most dogs have come into contact with it, and have it in their system.  See this site:-  http://www.sealords-oes.com/Pdf/Herpes.pdf.  I suspect that vaccinations have increased the susceptibility of dogs to it….and by that I mean immune systems that are weakened.  Dogs which are fed kibble may be “healthy” dogs, but their immune system is not high.  Imho, dogs have never before had such weakened immune systems as they have now, with multiple vaccines during their lifetime and being fed rubbish.  That is why such things as CHV and “fading puppies” are on the increase. 

Anonymous

are you a CHC member Dree ?

kizkiznobite

No…it is on the increase because it is more saturated in the environment…it is out there big time ..those girlies i mentioned are not fed ‘kibble’ they fed natural…there are studies being done now…in this country…and the rates are showing higher than the SA studies…they are coming in currently at 30% out of 1000…and these dogs had not been vac’ed against it…the latest study is on dogs that have had the 3 year vac…the second part of the study that is just starting is on dogs that have not…only 200 have been done to date from that batch but the % are the same at the moment….this is not the norm…it is not about weakened immunity or possible weakened immunity….

anyway…jay…have sent you stuff…
    at the end of the day it is up to the breeders to make their choices…all i am saying is knowing what i know i would not risk  it…pure and simple…

Dree

[quote author=piglet link=topic=12683.msg245000#msg245000 date=1223926600]
    are you a CHC member Dree ?

[/quote]

No….although I was one of their early members and worked hard for CHC in it’s formulative years.

Anonymous

Don’t vaccinate her she will be fine I would do a heath check and CHV shots has she had her hips done? can’t remember.
    I would also pay for the dog to be checked out
    Dree if you were to talk to breeders you would know herpes is the number one worry and no the dogs I know are not kibble fed nor are they vaccinated, for want of a shot it’s a terrible way for pups to die
    Val

[quote author=jaydex link=topic=12683.msg244948#msg244948 date=1223910631]
    Someone said the other day Kodi should get a booster before I mate her? should I, do I have to, says in BOTB that many vets dont favour giving one before or during pregnancy.
    [/quote]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 177 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime