Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Pre mating…..

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Pre mating…..

Viewing 12 posts - 166 through 177 (of 177 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Thanks

Just asked for it to be reopened as obviously this will be a long term topic until kodi is mated,  I’d rather keep all Q’s & A’s in 1 place so it will be easier for me to find answers when I need them rather than opening up a new thread each time.I dont want to cause probs between people, so lets keep it friendly eh.
    Gonna be asking all sorts of q’s in here and dont really want them to ‘get lost’ in a row over something else if thats ok, it started out as an innocent question about a booster  and I got lost about half way through I think :-\
    Anyway, Bev I hope that will reply to any of my q’s that are likely to pop up in the future.
    I have one now actually, I have scanned  quickly through the thread but cant see anywhere if it says if there are side affects to the CH vaccine, anyone?

GSPmad

[quote author=jaydex link=topic=12683.msg246354#msg246354 date=1224680291]
    Thanks

Just asked for it to be reopened as obviously this will be a long term topic until kodi is mated,  I’d rather keep all Q’s & A’s in 1 place so it will be easier for me to find answers when I need them rather than opening up a new thread each time.I dont want to cause probs between people, so lets keep it friendly eh.
    Gonna be asking all sorts of q’s in here and dont really want them to ‘get lost’ in a row over something else if thats ok, it started out as an innocent question about a booster  and I got lost about half way through I think :-\
    Anyway, Bev I hope that will reply to any of my q’s that are likely to pop up in the future.
    I have one now actually, I have scanned  quickly through the thread but cant see anywhere if it says if there are side affects to the CH vaccine, anyone?
    [/quote]

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Merial_Animal_Health_Ltd/Eurican_Herpes_205/-31368.html

think i posted this before, but it prob got lost somewhere!!  😀 those are the vaccine manufacturers warnings.

Anonymous

have you got Kodi titer for CHV ?  if she is high before mating it seems logical she’ll transfer virus AND antibodies to pups – its only if she gets it and transfers close to delivery or soon after its a problem (coz then she xfer the virus but not time for her body to make and transfer antibodies … thats how i read it ?

claire x

GSPmad

[quote author=piglet link=topic=12683.msg246362#msg246362 date=1224681994]
    have you got Kodi titer for CHV ?  if she is high before mating it seems logical she’ll transfer virus AND antibodies to pups – its only if she gets it and transfers close to delivery or soon after its a problem (coz then she xfer the virus but not time for her body to make and transfer antibodies … thats how i read it ?

claire x
    [/quote]

according to this link

http://www.hilltopanimalhospital.com/herpis%20chv-1.htm

that i posted a bit ago but got lost in the mire, and i think also according to the info kay posted, titreing isn’t much use – CHV produces a poor immunological response according to linky and any titres from exposure usually disappear in i think it said about 60 days, so generally you will get a negative titre but the virus can be there and latent and reactivates with stress of pregnancy – it works differently to the ones like parvo etc – so titres probably would be a waste of money for this particular virus.  :-\

think sue also said the stud dog she wants to use’s kennel requires the chv vacc.  ??? may be wrong tho… head is somewhere else today.

kizkiznobite

hi jay…

for some reason i cannot open links at the moment (am on a comp that sue’s OH set up for me to use and dont want to do my mouse happy messing so hopefully it will sort itself out  ::) )

so sorry if this repeats whatever the links terry put up says…
    when i was at the stage you are at with amilou…and i wont let her email kodi promise 😉

what Hugh said to me …and bear in mind he knows me and my reaction to the words vacs and stuff bless him…

‘the dog has to be 100% healthy…not that any contra’s are known about but solely because they are not…..( he talks like that…) so no meds of any sort for a month prior and a full health screening as far as possible…so swabs, bloods, thyroid tests etc’

this is his rule (not that ami is ever on meds) … i too jumped in with a titre?…as i titre as you know …and his response was…’no point…not on this …argue..as much as you like…pay me to if you like…but there is totally no point in titre testing for this and dont listen to stuff about maiden dogs not being susceptable’….

so…all i can say Jay is that in 50 years this is the only vet that has treated my dogs at anytime that i trust 100%… ok we have built a relationship over the last 15 years or so and yep we have had a few battles…and i hope the trust is mutual…well he refers behavioural stuff to me so i think it is…but as Hugh said it in her best interest… then my bestest girl would have had….

Anonymous

Thanks Bev :-*

I will get her tested for anything thats required, I want to do it properly, being our ‘first’ time, I know Dex has sired, but I didnt know about these things then, he had eyes done and was VWD clear by parentage, I was never asked to do HD.

Its obv different for the girls, much more involved, they get to do all the hard work(as usual) ;D and like I said before if I wish to use a certain dog she’ll have to have it anyway.
    still lots to think  about am sure I’ll think of something else to ask  ::) ;D

:-* doG I remember reading that bit about the side effects now ::) ::)  said I got lost halfway through! and I remember Kayc saying no point Titre testing for it, it will show negative anyway. Thanks Terry :-*

Anonymous

I  phoned my vets earleir asking them if they can get the CHVacc for Kodi, they dont even know what it is ??? ::) ::)
    I explained, and was told she only need her regular booster, I cant believe they dont know ::)

Anonymous

sadly – i can 🙁  – how about calling round and finding one who knows something about breeding ?

Anonymous

well I give her her due, she now knows ALL about it 🙂 she phoned me back, we had a good chat and they will order it in for us, must say I’d not heard of it before neither have quite a few people I ‘ve spoken to re the mating, but would have expected any vet to now about it really, still as the saying goes ‘ you learn something new everyday!

Anonymous

hi,

well thats great news – sounds like she’s more than redeemed herself !  and prepared to do her own research / learning too 🙂

claire x

Anonymous

Agree  🙂 she phoned back tonight aswell to check when we’d need it, told me how much and when it should be given etc, she seems really interested and is looking forward to puppies, I dont even know who she is :-[ she must be new to the surgery.

sandobes

Hi Sue
    Any sign of her season yet ? Will she now wait until after Crufts.
    As you know I work in a vets and CHV is not a vaccine that is routinely given and unless they have “breeders” not surprised they may not have heard of it. Good your vet enquired and rang you back with info shows they are interested.
    Must admit I never used it on my last two liitters but having seen it talked about recently was checking up on it the other day for if mate Roxy. I have had her other boosters already just in case as although as a practice they send annual reminders I do not do mine yearly.
    Did you speak to stud dogs owners on their thoughts re CHV vaccine?
    Sandra

Viewing 12 posts - 166 through 177 (of 177 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime