Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Pre mating…..

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Pre mating…..

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 177 total)
  • Author
    GSPmad

hi natural outbreaks, the entire litter typically is infected and dies after birth. Recovery has not been observed in puppies infected during the first week of life.

From this site re CHV + fading puppies.

http://www.hilltopanimalhospital.com/herpis%20canine.htm

Dree

They haven’t used RC!!!  😉

Anonymous
    quote :

Fading Puppy Syndrome is the name given to a collection of illnesses in puppies, each of which can lead to death within a few days of birth. Such puppies become progressively weaker until they are unable to suckle; they may have an abnormally low body temperature. Fading Puppy Syndrome may be caused by infection with many agents. The main ones are: (1) Canine Adenovirus (2) Canine Herpes Virus (3) Bordetella bronchiseptica (4) E.coli (5) Salmonella

http://www.eastbournevet.co.uk/pethealth/dogdisease1.asp?disease=Fading+Puppy+Syndrome

Looking at the “5 main causes” here it seems to me that 2 common causes (4 and 5) are basically a “dodgy tummy” and could be fairly easily remedied, also isnt bordatella just “kennel cough” i should imagine that is also relatively easy to treat (i mean obviously needing some effort).  However, I cant say the same for CA(CIHV) and CHV … no bloody plant is gonna “cure” this …

CA / CHV have no effective treatment in such young puppies.  JMO – it says CHV is rare in FPS … perhaps you are just lucky yours have been dodgy tums ?

Claire.

Dree

[quote author=piglet link=topic=12683.msg245535#msg245535 date=1224188671]

Looking at the “5 main causes” here it seems to me that 2 common causes (4 and 5) are basically a “dodgy tummy” and could be fairly easily remedied, also isnt bordatella just “kennel cough” i should imagine that is also relatively easy to treat (i mean obviously needing some effort).  However, I cant say the same for CA(CIHV) and CHV … no bloody plant is gonna “cure” this …

CA / CHV have no effective treatment in such young puppies.  JMO – it says CHV is rare in FPS … perhaps you are just lucky yours have been dodgy tums ?

Claire.
    [/quote]

They definitely were not just dodgy tums, Claire.  The description of the symptoms included the constant crying, the “paddling”, the inability to suckle.  In the last phone call I had I could hear the pup crying in the back-ground…..hard to describe that sound.  🙁  Also the pup had the typical symptom of arched back.  That pup did not survive.  :'(

I have a separate tincture for iffy tums…for dogs of any age, including young pups.  🙂

Anonymous

having had a baby labelled “FTT” – inability to suckle, arched back, paddling (searching in humans), crying … in my baby it was nothing more than mal-positioning prior to birth.

my baby wouldnt have either if i had just let him keep trying to suckle without giving him any help.

claire.

p.s. did they have a PM on the dead pup to find the cause ?

Dree

[quote author=piglet link=topic=12683.msg245545#msg245545 date=1224190631]

p.s. did they have a PM on the dead pup to find the cause ?
    [/quote]

I don’t think they did.  But they had had the vet out, and he said that it was fading puppy, and that there was literally nothing he could do.  The rest of the litter were starting to fade the next day, showing the same symptoms….herbs arrived day after in time for the rest of the litter.  :happy:

kizkiznobite

mmmm

ok…ish ..as in i am ok ish with this…but you know what?
    you know what i find really really sad…..if this so called magic cure all…that helps preggy dams and helps fading pups to survive …even with CHV etc etc etc…just as you say…even with your  😉 smileys and sarcasm…….and i accept witchywoo stuff …’believe’ me have done so for many many years….so i do not need you do to the ‘believe’ crap….

what saddens and sickens me is that this so called ‘secret’ cure all…is out there to the few but is kept ‘secret’…..because while you lot are retaining that ‘secret’ and patting yourselves on the back for saving abc…xyz may be dying…and in my book that is no accolade…..anyone…and everyone…can have anything…can try and use anything…of mine that helps any or even one dog…

bev person is out of here…

bevmod will let others post views as long as there is no personal insult…then i edit or remove…ok?

and…ps

you tread close to the legal line …very very close…. 😉  😉  😉  😉

Anonymous

[quote author=kayc link=topic=12683.msg245414#msg245414 date=1224109152]
    I am really not sure whether to come in on this thread or not.. I am confused..

Is the question to use the CHVaccine.. or a routine annual booster vaccine

Is there a need for boostering?.. have titres been taken?.. bear in mind.. CH gives a false negative titre during dormancy…

Or is this also including any/all recommended breed health tests…

apologies for vagueness (is that a word lol)  I literally skimmed through the thread..
    [/quote]

The original  question was for an annual booster 🙂  Which I have been advised she doesnt need, but should have the CHV instead. She is going to have all recommended breed tests aswell.

kayc

Since I have been quoted.. I will jump in…

Firstly you have been advised correctly about annual boosters.. they are not required.. and in many cases, certainly not needed.. Leptosporosis is really the only booster that ‘should’ be done annually, but again.. not a requirement.. Vaccines are down to yourself..

Personally I titre test.. if results are high.. they still have immunity .. therefore no need for booster…

However the CHV vaccine is a completely different kettle of fish.. a titre on this virus will show a false negative, since the virus, like the human ‘cold sore virus’ lies dormant until stress kick starts it..

mating is stresfull.. even if your girl stands to attention and practically begs the dog.. whelping is very stressfull… both these events alone (assuming that no other factor is involved) can and will kick start the Herpes Virus into action…

I was one of the unlucky people years ago, who lost whole litters, who had girls resorp, with abosolutely no reason…

Merial introduced the vaccine in April 2003, and my girls were one of the 1st to ‘test’ the vaccine, using the same girls that continually aborted, mumified, or puppies faded.. each of the 3 girls were titre tested, each came back with negative counts to the virus.. they were mated.. and immediately titre tested.. the results were ALL positive.. the vaccine was given within 24hours of the mating and each girl went on to have a good strong healthy litter of pups…(the 2nd dose of the vaccine was given 2 weeks before whelping)

So yes.. I would advise the CHV Vaccine.. its not complusory, you have to make your own decisions…

personally for the small cost I would never have another mating without it… watching your pups die is crucifying.. and yes.. I to have managed to save a few, but I have also managed to help others too…

When little lives are at stake, you dont keep things to yourself.. you go all out to help, no matter what..

All the required and recommended health tests for your breed should be done, that goes without saying..

Kay

Anonymous

Thanks for that, but………and I’m not arguing just thinking aloud

before I asked my orginal q’ I had never heard of CHV, Dex has been mated 3 times(both his bitches were 1st timers aswell)  and although they had all other health tests none of the dogs were given this vaccine, Dexters breeder never mentioned it either, and they went on to have 30 healthy pups between them, no problems at all, I’m sure there must be hundreds if not thousands of dogs being bred that have not had this vaccine and gone on to produce a healthy litter, so…………is it really necessary or just a personal preference :-\

GSPmad

i would say sue… bearing in mind i don’t breed… obviously people bred dogs before the vacc was available.  ;D but if the virus is there it can cause big problems, and you won’t know if it’s there or not… the risk-benefit is up to you – do you risk losing the litter with no vacc, or do you go without it – and maybe everything will be fine, but then it might not – and obv vacc will have some side effects – they do. I know I personally wouldn’t fancy watching my puppies slowly dying before my eyes – but yes, plenty people don’t have the vacc done and have healthy litters with no probs. I think it’s personal risk-benefit analysis rather than personal preference, if that makes sense.  🙂

GSPmad

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Merial_Animal_Health_Ltd/Eurican_DHPPi/-31358.html

Contra-indications and warnings of CHV vacc in link above.

kayc

Its personal preference only.. I know many people who have good strong healthy litters without it…

I also know that many vets up until recently had never heard of the CHV Vaccine… one lady phoned me and asked me to speak to their vets.. tell them manufacturers etc.. and that was only last year..

You have to do what YOU feel comfortable with.. no-one can tell you you must or must not vaccinate…

Whenever I give advice, I put up the pro’s AND the cons’ hopefully leaving the OP (yourself in this case) to be able to make a decision based on as much information as possible..

any advice I give also comes from 40odd years of experience.. I cant advise on something I have not encountered personally.. I can put up links etc from research.. but again.. its only a guidance..

Whatever your decision on the CHV vaccine.. its not complusory, maybe not even neccessary, to know as much about it as possible, enables you make a decision the YOU feel comfortable with.  😉

Bilclarie

As long as she is up to date with everything is wormed pre mating and has been fully health tested along with the sire there is no reason why she like thousands of other bitches shouldn’t have a good strong healthy litter, postnatal care taken in to account as well.

And I’m as sure as grass is green you will endevour to do the best you can for Kodi and her offspring during and after her pregnacy like most of us do 😉

Mo and the Gang

Dree

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=12683.msg245603#msg245603 date=1224250964]
    mmmm

ok…ish ..as in i am ok ish with this…but you know what?
    you know what i find really really sad…..if this so called magic cure all…that helps preggy dams and helps fading pups to survive …even with CHV etc etc etc…just as you say…even with your  😉 smileys and sarcasm…….and i accept witchywoo stuff …’believe’ me have done so for many many years….so i do not need you do to the ‘believe’ crap….

what saddens and sickens me is that this so called ‘secret’ cure all…is out there to the few but is kept ‘secret’…..because while you lot are retaining that ‘secret’ and patting yourselves on the back for saving abc…xyz may be dying…and in my book that is no accolade…..anyone…and everyone…can have anything…can try and use anything…of mine that helps any or even one dog…

bev person is out of here…

bevmod will let others post views as long as there is no personal insult…then i edit or remove…ok?

and…ps

you tread close to the legal line …very very close…. 😉  😉  😉  😉
    [/quote]

First of all, what sarcasm from me?  If anyone has been sarcastic, it’s yourself, Bev….but that’s okay??

Secondly, I take great offence at what you have written.  You are undermining the knowledge of the herbalist who spent a long time working on the formula.  You also have no idea who you are talking about, and what that individual has done for hundreds of dogs in this country.  She has been available quite literally 24hrs per day, and put herself out time and time again, at great personal cost, both healthwise and money wise.  She has certainly not made any personal fortune out of her immense knowledge, since all she wants is to help dogs.  Only lately has she put copyright on to some of her formulas. 

As for Raspberry Compound being a secret…..how it can be a secret when I have talked about it on a public forum is beyond me….

As for me treading “close to the legal line”.  In what way?  You surely are aware of the Henry VIIIth charter?  Under that charter, I can help anyone, with herbs, who *asks* for my help.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 177 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime