Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Rafe’s film debut!!! Please watch!!

Home Archive Forums Dogs Advanced Dog Training Rafe’s film debut!!! Please watch!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author

I just showed my neice (shes nearly 3) she sat enthralled then yelled hes putting it in the washing machine  😀

kizkiznobite

so whats your training plan for the next step jus…. 🙂

Justine&Rafe

Aw Suz, I’m chuffed! 

Bev – what do you mean about the next step???  :surprise:  :surprise:  :surprise:

There’s more??

I hadn’t thought further than the cardboard box!

But is very nice to know Cubert is having his jumpy moments too!  I’ve just got this image of a ton of drool and fur flying across a room and landing on someone!  He and Rafe would be an unstoppable force of destruction!

kizkiznobite

my ahahah was working so well…now he does a yeah..you spoke…was it to me…sorry didnt hear you.. >:D

of course there is a next step…you just got to build on this….where have you tested the learning…evalute, test, move it on… 🙂

i know what i would be doing by now…so thinking cap on  ;D

fab video ;D ;D

Justine&Rafe

Right, thinking cap on.

Well, I started with a bucket and a tennis ball as Rafe had clear problems with both the washing machine and the jeans (that I’d tried to start with!).

Then I moved to those rags with knots in them.

As far as I can see, I’ve got 3 things which will need to advance and be worked on individually.

1) items to be put in.  I need to advance to things that are bigger and won’t just “drop” in.  Plan is to do this slowly with larger rags and different items until he’s ok with all those.  (Or else all I’ll be washing is tennis balls).  Just think he may struggle with the larger bits as it will take more than one “drop” to get them in the hole.

2) Washing machine itself.  Differs to cardboard box in 2 main ways – it’s not cardboard!  and it has a door.  May have to fashion a door from the bit I cut out of the box, so he gets the hang of negotiating around it as an obstacle to putting stuff in.  Will revert to tennis ball at the start before moving back to rags.

3) At the moment he’s putting in one item at a time.  I need him to be able to move a pile of things into the washing machine without me having to put each one individually on the floor.  Out of all 3 things I think he’ll struggle the most with this one, and a lot of that is because of the lack of independant freeshaped work that I’ve done with him. It’s like throwing 2 balls – he’ll run and grab one, then run to the other, then just keep changing which one he’s holding.
    So the plan is just to build it up incredibly slowly.  One item at a time.

Only going to introduce him to the real washing machine when everything else is fluent!

Any tips?  Have I missed anything?

kizkiznobite

sure i got ‘tips’ but keep thinking  😀

and why change back to balls from rags… 😉

and the door…forgotten about chaining?  😉

and more than one item….dont you sort your washing  :butt:

think out of the box hun
    xx

deebee

dont mean to hijack but…. i have been teaching max to tidy his toys, and he sometimes doesnt bother with other toys, he takes out the one he put in and then puts it back lol. cant get past it.

😀 😀 😀 😀 get thinking or The Bev will be set on you 😀 😀 ;D

kizkiznobite

not a hijack dee…same thing…

do one toy at a time..name toy…add in next when each name is fluent

deebee

well, i did start with one toy, and it started then. he was quicker than me at getting it out to repeat.
    so i thought by putting 2 toys out, he would go for that while i got the other one out of the box without him noticing. he knows the names of his toys but hadnt thought of asking to tidy by name. will try that. thanks!

deebee

do you know, thats not true.
    it started when i introduced the 2nd toy, he’d put the 1st one in, then i would click treat next to the 2nd toy but he would ignore it to go back to the first one, which i had left in the basket. did he think the action was only with that toy?

kizkiznobite

what you click for is what you get  🙂

Justine&Rafe

Ha ha!!  Eeek!  She’ll want results soon!  >:D

(Tidying toys – could it not all be one command?  I.e. tidy = everything that is mine into the box?  If you ignored him getting the first toy out and putting it back again he might figure out that’s not what you want, then lookto the other toy?  Go back a stage and then reward for him approaching/touching other toy before you expect him to put it back?  He may be winding you up a bit with “but this is my best toy and I only want to do it with this one so I’ll pretend the other one isn’t there because I don’t really want to do that one”)

Rags to balls – to make it easier for him… but I’m getting that all wrong, aren’t I, I should be making sure rags are 100% fluent before I start upping the anti.  By going back to balls it would mean that I wouldn’t need it to be as fluent, because it would be easier with the ball.  (I tried to cheat but I didn’t know!!).  Ok.

Chaining??

How do I get him to sort my darks from lights??!!!

Also have done “deeper thinking” and have found another key criteria – he must be able to do it on his own eventually!  Which means doing it away from me (and the treats) Bev knows this is a stumbling block for him after a snoozy refusal stalemate for 10mins!

Also – I don’t know how I could get him to shut the door with enough strength to actually close it… If he leant against it that might do it…  He certainly couldn’t open it as it designed for grippy hands.

I’m not even going to attempt to get him to twist the dial to the right setting or put the powder in – not yet anyway!  But I reckon I could get him to press the start button, just not sure how I would just yet.

And perhaps I need a little cart with wheels so he can wheel the box of washing to the machine!!

deebee

no no no justine, the next step is the ironing!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime