Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Re: Training Methods

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training Re: Training Methods

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Mudgie

the majority of us on here use positive training methods – i.e. reward the good ignore the bad  ;D  whilst he gets results you dont get to see the whole process that is involved.  He advocates a few things that I do not agree with – use of restraints and ecollars etc and to me “enforces” the pack status on dogs by pinning them to ground – each to their own but I like my doggies to respect me, trust me and obey me because they are happy to do so and it is their place to do so and not because I have “bullied” them into it.  

I have read his books and he does have a remarkable insight into the whole “pack” thing and a great love for dogs but I dont agree with a lot of his methods in achieving results.  

Nat/Val/Bev – can you split this thread to another please and then we can speak about it without losing Oscar and Juno amongst it all.

Sweetypye

As with all dog trainers no two will agree with the methods of a third.

Also nobody agrees with anyone on 100% of stuff (to my knowledge).

like the curates egg there ae parts of CM which are fine and others which are not recommended; sometimes it is hard for the novice to sort the wheat from the chaff

RichardD

Ok, right lets leave the d** whis**** subject alone then!!!  :).

Richard

Mudgie

I dont think we should leave it alone just think we should get the topic split so we dont lose sight of Oscar and Juno in all this  😉

RichardD

Yeah ok, you know best!!! 🙂

Ive got to take oscar the vets tonight because his ears have gone really sore and there’s alot of really dark brown wax?? Have you ever had this in your dogs and if so did you cure it a different way?

Richard

Sweetypye

cos of their deputy dawg’s ears, the interior can get very hot and trigger a build up of wax.

You can help by considering diet ( a diet high in cereals will feed yeast)
    Cleaning once a week with something like colloidal silver or saline solution (contact lens stuff) and weekly use of a pinch of thornit.

Alternatively Quistel do a great product.

Or Vals ear stuff which IMO is the best and the only thing that really works!

https://www.resources.dogclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5299.0
    🙂

SP – what do you think of the colloidal silver stuff? I did ask Bev about it but I never really followed her email back up -I must……..seeing that post reminded me!

Izzie

I always hear of people banging on about CS, but I am not 100%  convinced by it :-\

have seen stories of people using too much and ending up Blue 😮 because they have either used the wrong type or have overdosed on it.

Will research it for you Suz 😉

Thanks Izzie Bev did send me a link – be blowed if I can find it!

Think the trouble with CS – and many other dog trainer programmes is they make it look easy – viewers then pick out the bits they can EASILY apply to their dog at home – then wonder why it doesnt work  🙂

colloidal silver ??? whats that

Izzie

Its a old recipe used before AB’s, its Silver ionised in water, meant to help with infections. It was used in the olden days as an eye ointment in infants I think :-\

will find a link for you Kerrie
    http://www.herbalremedies.com/readmorabcol.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colloidal_silver

cant remember who makes a spray or something with it – Chris Christensen I think – dont quote me on it. Was asking Bev whether the human stuff could be used on pooches – they do soap and all if I remember right

Izzie

There is a spray, that a lot of people use on their dogs, in their mouths, cuts, grazes and pretty much anything.

Someone in America tried to make his own and ended up Blue because he used too much silver ::)

[quote author=Izzie link=topic=12179.msg235055#msg235055 date=1218051254]
    I always hear of people banging on about CS, but I am not 100%  convinced by it :-\

have seen stories of people using too much and ending up Blue 😮 because they have either used the wrong type or have overdosed on it.

Will research it for you Suz 😉
    [/quote]

Like this bloke?!  😀  did you see him on GMTV, unbelievable!

Attachments:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime