Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

refuse collection rant

Home Archive Forums General Category Gossip refuse collection rant

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    kizkiznobite

Am needing a rant….

About 8 weeks ago we went on to the latest re cycling bin system…it is driving me nuts…I am not opposed to re-cycling as I detest the land fill system but this is crazy…

We now have 3 large bins and a slop bucket…

Green bin….garden waste and food scraps…so anything organic…no plastic bags food containers etc
    Black bin with blue lid…paper, glass, tins etc…stuff that was once organic
    Black bin for anything else

They on a 2 weekly collection cycle and it is just a nightmare with the green bin…we have very little food waste…food usually gets re-used in our house except in hot weather but we do have chicken carcass’ lamb carcass’ if the dogs get fed cooked and bones from any roasted or braised meat and fish bones that we eat, veggie peelings etc ….the idea is that you have the slop bucket in the house by the sink and scrape stuff of plates/roasting tins  into it…then when it full you take it out and tip it in the large green bin.
    We tried the slop bucket…lasted 3 days…it stank and we had fruit flies, wasps and blue bottles coming in the house…even though it has a sealable lid on it…I cannot risk wasps in the house with Falkor let alone for any other reason…so that went…so we started to take what we have straight to green bin…so for 2 weeks we had rotting food festering in the bottom 6 inches of a large bin …we had to move it right down the garden…we have a long garden …it a pain as then it has to be dragged up the garden and out the front but wasps and flies and smell was more than we could bear…. we could smell it through the kitchen windows….

It green bin collection day…I went out early this am to do a bit of a walk before the heat…and to drag up the bin, the whole street stinks…it is disgusting….it so bad I could taste it on my tongue and there are flies and wasps in swarms ….and with the windows open they are coming in the house….18 wasps and a couple of dozen blue bottles is the kill count and it only 8 am …bin men come between 10 am and 1pm but folk go to work and have had to put out their bins, and the instructions say to make sure bin is out by 7.30am.  Mo went to add something to ours…lifted up lid of next doors by mistake…theirs is full…and the bin is  crawling with maggots and fruit flies and wasps came flying out by the dozen…it made her sick…Mo doesn’t do negative smells very well at the best of times…and once the bin is emptied it still stinks…the council offer bin sanitizing and cleaning at a price…they can bog off…

The instruction booklet delivered to every home must have cost a fortune….the adverts and advisory posters must have cost another fortune….we had already had various coloured boxes that most folk use for file storage…that must have cost a fortune….

The collection of refuse became law in the 1800’s…for health reasons…in order to reduce disease etc…this is crazy…this is a step back as far as I am concerned…if we don’t do it we threatened with possible fines…well they can get stuffed….I am not having food festering for 2 weeks especially in this weather

Am going to complain

are any of you having problems?

Izzie

Nope, our bins are collected once a week.

If we have anything that is going to attract wasps/flies/etc I take it to the local park bins as they are emptied daily

We don’t have a slop bucket but i feel it wont be long coming.  We’ve just had great new wheely bins for glass,paper, tin etc much better than the lidless boxes previous (we’re now using them as planters for herbs and potatoes!)  There’s a brown garden waste wheely bin which some people have, not us, we don’t have a big enough garden!  You can’t get moved on a thursday night/friday morning for bins on the pavement  🙁

kizkiznobite

thats what we had foxy…we now on the next step…..it will come, not sure how many counties have this sytem yet…

kizkiznobite

reply from complaint  :whatever:

‘have processed the complaint through our system as requested and i have also forward it to xxxxx, who is the head of enviromental services, i know he apricates all fed back from the public regarding the new recycling scheme.

am sure he will get back to you on your thoughts.

Kind Regards’

apart from anything else…don’t they teach English anymore?

NAsty…………..we have a recycling bin and a normal bin – emptied every other week – we do have to double bag any food stuffs or yep it going to be awful but its fine if we bag it and were allowed to do that is the ‘normal bin’ is for just anything thats not recyclable.

Gracie

we still on once a week bin collection, fortnightly for recycling stuff, but i would much rather have 3 bins like you Bev, we have one bin bin, one lidless toybox thing for glass and tins, a bag for papers another hessan type bag for plastic and cardboard, and bags from garden waste, but no food or veg peelings allowed. (but my the grass bag stinks and is horrible to carry down the drive after two weeks.)

In our old house we had fortnightly bin collections, and a garden waste bin fortnightly, but again no food slopps, the 1st year they allowed the veg peelings etc but then they said just garden waste.

kizkiznobite

you wouldnt gracie honest  🙂 food can’t go in bags …it to go straight in the bin…where you keep your bins would be far too close to the house…even on a weekly collection imagine food refuse…especially animal proteins festering away in this weather….

no way we want that bev – ours would be disgusting if they didnt allow us to bag it  :vomit:

kizkiznobite

had a 3 page letter waffling on …actually had 2 saying the same thing from 2 different departments  ::)

basically….they say they cannot afford a weekly collection  ::) ::)

mo said what shall i do with these …..i said recycle them  😀

Mudgie

Contact your local councillor and your MP.  Get petition in street, area, village.  Use the back of their leaflets, posters etc -(showing that you support recycling  ;D)  Dont write letters get your councillor to make an appointment to see you in your home – the day/evening  before the bins are due for collection. 

Find out the issues prior to this – they put the stuff in for a reason so someone “green” or some government policy has changed the system you use.  You good at all this suport stuff – will take you back to your youth just dont get arrested  ::)

*Lassie*

We have 3 bins
    black – for cooked food and household stuff that can’t be recycled and pet waste.
    brown – garden waste, veg & fruit peelings….. now allowing tea bags and egg shells which had to be put in the black bin.
    blue- paper and rigid plastic, old catalogues phone books,tins, foil………… everything has to be washed first.
    shredded paper and plastic bags and any plastic wrap has to go in the black bin along with waxed cartons as they can’t cope with them ::)
    Glass and old clothes have to be taken to a recycling centre.
    Black bin stinks all summer and is often full of maggots. :vomit:

we have it coming here soon too, i only have a tiny yard so its going to stink! the whole streets will stink! everything gets messed up, we have these stupid canvass type things for plastic and cardboard, stuff flying around until they emptied, rubbish everywhere cos they light and not secure…

its all bleeding money, do this do that and you can have a grant! whoopsie do, stop wasting everyones money on crap and think about what you’re going to actually do!  nobody in our council thinks ahead its a complete farse!

kizkiznobite

oh lord kerrie….having seen your availabkle space…yep…nightmare….

btw…are you pro or anti ‘academy’  🙂

Gracie

you cant bag it?? YUK!!! we bag and the bin still yuk, stuff leaks out and that!
    just meant would like one bin for all cardboard, bottles tins etc instead of lots of bags and boxes.

mind like you say guess we will all end up like this :vomit:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime