Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Sheltie ears

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Sheltie ears

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Have I caught you before you’ve gone to the Chemist?  If I have, then get a pot of lanolin too!  ;D

Just a tiny bit of kaolin on the inside of the tip of the ear then push the tip into your palm containing talc.  This will stop it getting on furniture/clothing and stop it coming off.  Then, and this is the really important part, dip the end of a spoon into the lanolin and place it where you want the ear to bend.  Massage the ear over the end of the spoon so that the lanolin soaks into the ear and keeps it supple.

10 weeks is very early for ears to fly.  They usually go later during teething, so I would be tempted to do both ears as the other one is also light.  Good luck!  ;D

PS  If this doesn’t work SHOUT and we’ll talk about Plan B!  ;D

*jody*

Chemist was shut  🙁 so yep, I will pick up some lanolin too.  For now Ive used some hand cream (as suggested by someone on a sheltie forum somewhere) and talc which has helped a little.

I will give what you have suggested a go tommorow, down chemist first thing 😀

Also, how often to I do this, is once a day enough or should I be doing a couple of times?  Once Ive put the kaolin on should I just keep doing the lanolin massage until the kaolin needs re-applying?

Ooo, and also someone on collienet suggested neetsfoot oil?

Anonymous

Once Ive put the kaolin on should I just keep doing the lanolin massage until the kaolin needs re-applying?
    Yep the kaolin will harden and stay put for a while.  It will wash off with water if necessary.
    The most important thing is to keep the ear supple.  Lanolin is very thick and will keep softening for some time.  Massage whenever you remember.  Neetsfoot oil will soften too.

.dodger.

love the pic Jodie! ;D he is adorable :-*

Anonymous

hi,

this puppy only looks small, might the ears “unprick” naturally ? 

i used to hand warm my lanolin to apply it better … but i’ve never used it for ears 😉

claire x 

*Lassie*

[quote author=piglet link=topic=11940.msg228749#msg228749 date=1215365931]
    hi,

this puppy only looks small, might the ears “unprick” naturally ? 

i used to hand warm my lanolin to apply it better … but i’ve never used it for ears 😉

claire x 
    [/quote]

Shelties aren’t that big grown up ;D
    The ears may unprick naturally but if you want to show the dog it’s not a chance you want to take

Anonymous

I’ve not known pricked ears go down.  I had pricked ears in my line for years until I started again and now don’t have problems with ears at all.

*jody*

Brilliant, thanks Rough (and everyone else  :-*)

I hope it works, it would be such a shame being as it looks like he may be ideal height which I was warned can be a really tricky one.

Its bleedin well popped back up again  ::)  It happened overnight, they were fine yesterday.

xtine

he is very nice looking.. this is a really interesting thread.. had no idea you could do any of this  😮

*jody*

Thank you  ;D

Just been googling it around, seems glueing them is quite popular in the US  :-\

Anonymous

Half the world tapes Schnauzers ears  ;D

[quote author=xtine link=topic=11940.msg228799#msg228799 date=1215370862]
    he is very nice looking.. this is a really interesting thread.. had no idea you could do any of this  😮
    [/quote]

GSPmad

[quote author=Val link=topic=11940.msg228695#msg228695 date=1215351093]
    try this one bowlingsite.mcf.com/size/size.html
    [/quote]

made it work by cutting and pasting, thanks.  ;D

looks very complicated to me.  😮

so will the woman with the blu tak have been using it in the same way as the kaolin then?  :-\

Anonymous

Yes

[quote author=GSPmad link=topic=11940.msg228814#msg228814 date=1215372212]
    [quote author=Val link=topic=11940.msg228695#msg228695 date=1215351093]
    try this one bowlingsite.mcf.com/size/size.html
    [/quote]

made it work by cutting and pasting, thanks.  ;D

looks very complicated to me.  😮

so will the woman with the blu tak have been using it in the same way as the kaolin then?  :-\
    [/quote]

xtine

have seen some schnauzers with pricked ears.. they look so funny  😀

Anonymous

I decided that it was a waste of time in the end because it’s a fault that keeps being passed from generation to generation.  You see a dog in the ring with good ears and you don’t realise that they’re not natural (and everything else!).  I decided to start again with a bitch from a line that I knew had naturally good ears and haven’t had a problem since.

I have to add that pet people often groom VERY thoroughly and include combing the ears.  I let a 3 year old bitch who had perfect ears go to live with a friend recently and was horrified to receive a picture of a beautiful bitch with pricked ears and no coat.  The devoted owner combs every hair, including the ears, every day!  So don’t comb the ears or you will pull out the hair which gives the natural weight.  😉

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime