Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Some advice please ….I’m panicking a bit!

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Some advice please ….I’m panicking a bit!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    parsonsmum

Hi!
    I’m hoping someone can calm me down and give some advice.
    Doug….normally healthy 6 year old PRT.Fed on home cooked….brown rice, chicken,veg and fruit. Lamb bones 2-3- times a week.
    Yesterday evening on our walk his poop pattern wasn’t usual…..he seemed to be a bit loose and was straining to pass very little. He ate his food last night O.K. But 1st thing this morning he ran to the garden and ate copious amounts of grass…..he’s not normally a ”grass eater”. He was sick twice, just bile and grass but he’s still straining to poo and it’s just a dribble of mucous. At one point he did try to scoot along and he’s dragging himself on his belly now and again as if in pain. He’s refused his normal Bonio for breakfast and is wandering around like he can’t settle.
    Apart from all that he has a cold wet nose and seems relatively perky…..
    I’ve looked her on past threads for some advice, but I’m just getting nowhere . Probably panicking over a little tummy upset, but as he can’t poo……could it be he has a blockage of some sort ??? Should I get the vet to check him out?

firstly calm down, i know its hard (been there done that πŸ˜‰ ) he probly has a upset tummy.

has he been drinking? how much? how often?
    has he farted (i know silly question)?
    what has he eaten in past 24hrs?

trying to cover some questions that bev or val would ask

parsonsmum

Drinking normally I think…..I have been out this morning …..but not drinking any more than normal from the look of the water bowl.
    Last time he ate was 7pm yesterday….brown rice, boiled chicken, carrots, spinach and half a pear with a small handful of mixer biscuits.
    No farting.

He did have an anal gland abscess about 5 weeks ago, which was nasty but sorted out quite quickly with ABs.

so he hasnt eaten anything today, have you tried to feed him anything other than the bonie?

is the any blood coming out of his bottom?

parsonsmum

I just tried him with a tiny amount of chicken, which he did eat……not that fussed about it though.
    No blood.

*Lassie*

There is tummy bugs going round. Just give him water no food for 12 – 24 hours.
    Can give Kaolin or slippery elm with pro bio yogurt
    Feed cooked chicken/fish with mash/overcooked rice πŸ˜‰

edit to add – if he pooed OK after his last bone most likely not blocked

it probly just a tummy upset, keep an eye on his bowel movements until val or bev get on and can be of more help πŸ˜‰

try him with a little bit of cooked chicken and mash, nothing to high in fats or protiens, just bland food for now

are you feeling a bit calmer :-*

parsonsmum

Thanks so much for your replies…….I think I’m a bit calmer now ::)

Doug last had bones on Saturday and he was O.K. till yesterday so as you say….probably not a blockage.
    Poor thing, since that tiny bit of chicken just now, he’s lying flat out and dragging his belly on the floor……tummy ache? He’s doing a lot of ‘stretching’ too.
    Will keep his meal tonight to a small portion of chicken and mash and I’ve got some bio yog for him too.
    Thanks again! πŸ™‚

keep checking back though as val or bev will probly add something to this post πŸ˜‰

parsonsmum

Will do. Thanks again.Β  πŸ™‚

Val

Sounds like gastro problem give him some mashed potato with slippery elm for 24 hours if he’s felling better tomorrow add some pro bio yogurt
    Good Luck
    Val

parsonsmum

Thanks Val……I did’nt have any slippery elm…..so I gave him mashed potato and a tablespoon of live bio yoghurt. I didn’t expect him to eat it, but he scoffed the lot and is now looking for more. So I reckon he must be feeling a little better. Just gotta make sure the other end is working properly now.
    Thank you all for your help πŸ™‚

*Lassie*

You can get slippery elm from Holland and Barrett in capsule form – best stuff and cheaper, the powder you will have to get on lineΒ  πŸ˜‰

Val

There is a nasty tummy bug about I would suggest all members keep some slippery elm in the cupboard.
    Give him the same diet for a couple of day it will give his gut time to settle if he does anymore tummy stretching switch the potato to sweet potato for a day or two then start filtering his normal diet back into his life
    Val

*Lassie*

[quote author=Val link=topic=14531.msg270426#msg270426 date=1248204803]
    There is a nasty tummy bug about I would suggest all members keep some slippery elm in the cupboard.

Val
    [/quote]

Works well and has helped Tam thanks to you Val πŸ˜‰

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime