Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Some advice please ….I’m panicking a bit!

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Some advice please ….I’m panicking a bit!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    parsonsmum

Just ordered some slippery elm powder…….how much should I give? and how do you give it, just mixed in with the food?

Val

1 tsp. for small dogs, 1 T. for medium sized dogs, and 2-4 T. for large dogs it’s not an exact science
    Mix it in the food

Val

parsonsmum

Thank you! 🙂

Hope little Doug is feeling better, Toby seems to be suffering from something similar, Val, he’s been off colour today and I’m almost sure its a tummy but but he’s panting a lot too, very unusual for him, any ideas?  Dehydration or possibly something else?

how is he today parsonsmum?

Val

Dehydration is easily checked just pinch his skin up if it stays up he’s dehydration if it doesn’t he’s fine.
    I think you are a worry pot.
    Has he got a runny tum?
    Val

[quote author=TobyTeaCosy and Angela link=topic=14531.msg270472#msg270472 date=1248296156]
    Hope little Doug is feeling better, Toby seems to be suffering from something similar, Val, he’s been off colour today and I’m almost sure its a tummy but but he’s panting a lot too, very unusual for him, any ideas?  Dehydration or possibly something else?
    [/quote]

parsonsmum

Thanks for asking after Doug…….I think he’s getting over it now. I was still concerned yesterday as he was still eating vast amounts of grass, but he wasn’t sick this time. I just took him for a lead walk the previous evening but yesterday I thought maybe a good off lead run might ”work” his system. It seemed to do the trick and he passed all the grass he’d eaten so I don’t think now that there’s anything blocking him up, which was my main concern. I thought if he had a tummy bug he’d have the runs as well, which he didn’t.
    I’ll keep him on a bland diet today, but his appetite hasn’t been affected at all.
    So I think it was just one of those things that thankfully now seems to have passed. 🙂

I hope Toby is better soon……they’re such a worry when they’re unwell aren’t they? I think I worry more about Doug and Jack than I do about the kids when they are ill…….at least kids can tell you where it hurts!

Thanks Val, he’s fine today, a lot better, prob just a 24 hour bug, he just been out, normal wee and poo so looking a lot better thanks

parsonsmum

Doug still isn’t right 🙁
    Kept him on cooked chicken and mash for 2 days, added slippery elm and bio yog. Poos still not right…..lots of mucus. he’s got me up at 3-4am twice this week and he’s gone out the garden to eat grass…..he systematically worked his way round the lawn twice really gobbling grass in a frantic way. I had to physically pick him up after 30minutes or so and carry him indoors, only for him to run back out and do it again. He wasn’t sick but the grass appeared the other end the following day, along with lots of mucus again. I starved him yesterday and this morning gave him 1/2 mashed banana with some bio yog. He ate it O.K. only to vomit it back an hour or so later.

He’ll be back on chicken and mash tonight. He’s due to be wormed this week……sunflower seeds…..should I go ahead with that? Could worms be causing his problems?
    He’s always been fine on his diet which hasn’t changed…..cooked chicken, brown rice, veg and fruit, and lamb bones 2-3 times a week. Could he suddenly become intollerant to something that he’s been fine with till now?

He’s fine in himself…..appetite and drinking as normal, cold wet nose, gums O.K. and enjoys his walks as usual. If it was a bug I would have expected my other dog to get it too, but he’s fine.

poor boy ((hugs))

i wouldnt do the worming unless bev or val say otherwise as it might take away the good bacteria that he needs??
    has he eaten anything other than the chick and mash?
    are you just crushing the spuds or are you adding anything to them?
    what ratio are you giving, chick to mash ratio?
    is he getting walked? how long/ often?

parsonsmum

He ate chicken and mash Thursday, same Friday with slippery elm added.
    Then went back to chicken and rice and carrot over the weekend.
    Starved him yesterday……1/2 banana and bio yog this morning, then he was sick.
    Ratio approx 2 tablespoons mash and 1 tablespoon cooked chicken. Potatoes are well mashed and I’ve added 1 tablespoon slippery elm. No milk or butter added.
    Walked for 1 -1 1/2 hours daily……mostly running off lead.

Val

I would stop feeding him bio yog keep him on just mash for awhile

Mudgie

He just got upset tummy.  I give nacho mash at least twice a week just to keep him okay.  As Val said drop the yoghurt and other stuff.  Put him onto mash only for a couple of days at least nothing else.  Hope he is only getting goats milk as the lactose in cows milk will do him no good.  Forget about worming at the moment let his tum recover.  Once he appears to be good on mash then introduce chicken for a couple of days then slowly and slowly is the key introduce his usual stuff.  Rush it and you back to square one again.  Keep using the slippery elm.  Better to feed him little meals instead of big ones.  No need to starve him now.  Just be consistent and most of all patient.  ;D 

The grass he is eating – he just self medicating – he will either poo it or sick it back up once he got all the goodness from it.  Dont worry about that he just being a dog  ;D

parsonsmum

Thanks Val and Mudgie……so just mash and slippery elm? not even a little bit of chicken?
    Mudgie, he doesn’t get milk at all…..oh yeah the bio yog ! :-[
    Will forget the worming for now.

Val

It could be the bio-yog and chicken that is triggering the gut to start over again do as Mudgie says
    Val

[quote author=parsonsmum link=topic=14531.msg270646#msg270646 date=1248806411]
    Thanks Val and Mudgie……so just mash and slippery elm? not even a little bit of chicken?
    Mudgie, he doesn’t get milk at all…..oh yeah the bio yog ! :-[
    Will forget the worming for now.
    [/quote]

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime