Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Titre testing

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Titre testing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    xtine

we’re going to get this done next week.. first time  🙂
    How does it work? Do i need to request specific tests or do they have a set list of things they will automatically test for?
    Is it just a case of taking blood and analysing?

Mudgie

Vet takes blood sample and unless he sends it to lab then results can be there within minutes.  Basically they test for presence and strength of the immune system in response to certain diseases.  if the dog has a sufficiently immune system to the disease tested for then there is no need for further vaccination.  ;D

If the vet has a TiterCHEKTM test kit you will get results within 15 minutes or so otherwise it needs to go to lab and you will need to await results.

If you get the test done annually it can ensure that you are not getting unnecessary vaccines.  However, if you find that dog needs vaccine if it has been more than a year since the last one you have to “start over again” i.e. get first lot then next lot two weeks later.  (or whatever timing is)  ???

Some kennels won’t accept it and if you want a passport you have to get rabies shot then blood tested 4 weeks later for antibodies.  😛

That’s about all I know but sure if you trawl internet you will find other stuff.  :educated: Other people on here know lots about it too

xtine

Thanks Mudgie… that was really useful  ;D didn’t know that about having to restart  :boooo:

xtine

Another question ;D
    have booked him in next Weds for a kidney function test and titre testing…
    they want him in all day  😮 why’s that then? And no food from 8 pm the night before.. is that in relation to the kidney test?

Feel guilty sending him in already  :'(

Val

I have missed this and know you want two answers  :ok: :agree: First kidneys he wants him for the day as they take bloods and pee at different times to see the levels he will be fine.
    Titre testing is only as good as the contact the dog has had with any given disease……..say dog up the road has hardpad and Fritz has contact his levels for that will be high as his IS kicks it to battle said disease and thats the latest disease he came in contact will, things like Parvo it will be low as there is less day to day contact plus the shots themselves only last 6 mths.
    Val
    Better late than never with my answer  :agree:

[quote author=xtine link=topic=14257.msg267237#msg267237 date=1242839249]
    Another question ;D
    have booked him in next Weds for a kidney function test and titre testing…
    they want him in all day  😮 why’s that then? And no food from 8 pm the night before.. is that in relation to the kidney test?

Feel guilty sending him in already  :'(
    [/quote]

parsonsmum
    quote :

Titre testing is only as good as the contact the dog has had with any given disease……..say dog up the road has hardpad and Fritz has contact his levels for that will be high as his IS kicks it to battle said disease and thats the latest disease he came in contact will, things like Parvo it will be low as there is less day to day contact plus the shots themselves only last 6 mths.
    Val

So does that mean that if the dog has’nt been in contact with the disease, the titre tests will come back indicating that the dogs levels will be low and  needs boosters ???

xtine

Thanks Val  :-* feeling ok about leaving him now… might give myself a shot of valerian on the day  😀 just hope he isn’t a menace and whine his butt off all day… Suz will tell you what a wuss he is  :-[

I finks you just lie about Fritz – YOU told me hes a naughty boy when people come to the house – but was he? nope he happy happy GOOD boy – me and Honey just finks your lying about him – he’d never be a menace  :nono:  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

He is however a total wuss on the grooming table  :yes:  😀 but we loves him anyway!! and bring cake we got stuff to celebrate – but its a secret for now ok  :yes:

xtine

he IS a naughty boy… he just loves you very much.. you are lucky  :yes:
    He loves you, and Uncle Brendan.. he likes Aunty Anna and Uncle Matt, Uncle Andre and Tony.. but HATES Jo  >:D

xtine

and will bring cake  😉  :ok:

Hes a funny boy – but never realised how much he liked me till I came to visit – we love him too – Honey does too – shes going to be so pleased to see him!  :-* Be there about 11 hun – so just after 11 ok? I may need to shoot off after  ::) dont ask will explain sat xx

xtine

:ok: won’t ask  😉  ;D

shall head off from here about 9 – 9.30 then  :ok:

xtine

well, mister is off to the vets in the morning  :boooo: I prob won’t sleep feeling bad and dreading results  :-\ how do they give results for kidneys? Is it a number / range or just good / bad news?

*Nat*

Fingers and paws crossed  :-*

Izzie

Everything crossed for Fritz  :-*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime