Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Training To Be Calm Around Cats

Home Archive Forums Dogs Advanced Dog Training Training To Be Calm Around Cats

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    kk_xing

yeh could do cat in the window she saw 1 at a friends house and went nuts squeeling etc and it was just unstoppable!!!

ive got lots of wild rabbits.. how on earth do you borrow a wild rabbit roflmao

its hard to get her attention outside at the moment im doing a walk and if she doesnt pay attention or squeels its return straight home!

Anonymous

OK,

criteria too high then. 

does she walk to heel at C1 & C2 ?  what about with distractions (i use cheese) got any friends you could test C3 with ?  do you go training, will she walk to heel at C4 ?

if not – you’ve no chance of getting it at C5 🙁  with bonnie i took her out door (practice door manners get them sh*t hot it makes HUGE difference right from minute you start pre-walk routine you are cueing or waiting for free-shaping decisions.  once you have walked her calmly out the front door and she has waited nice while u lock it if u have a drive practice heel-close on there walk up and down using ur cues if she good enough and verbal praise (choose not busy time of day) then turn into street go up and down then back in BEFORE she has any ext. bursts !!!!!!  lots of praise 🙂

i did this till i can get B to walk h-c with me turn / thisway / wait / sit / down offlead up and down my street when it quiet.

Claire x

p.s. “borrow” rabbits at dusk or on sunny days – they just sit there aslong as u have her walking calmly by u – promise 🙂

kk_xing

lmao… okay never gonna get to the field roflmao… she has everything to criteria 4.. in training class she’s better than anywhere else! with distractions too, even at agility.. when we did bronze/silver kcgds in her stay and recall a cocker came running up to her and she didnt break it.. she was fab.. like i said its just outside.. im gonna start the going outside when and only when she’s calm.. i usually do anyway but im gonna do just what you said.. ive been doing bits and bobs from bevs advice.. im sure she said to do this practice at front door when good practice at gate when good practice halfway to field and then at field.. but if she squeels its home lol.. i think its gonna take a good 9months.. its hard when i look after 2 labs and i have to walk them too.. i have to say i do put a head collar on her for when im walking the 3 of them, its easier so i can focuse on them more

as for the ‘borrowing’ of rabbits as soon as they see her they run lmao they must just know lmao

Anonymous

hehe !!!

yeah – the earlier in the sequence you chain from the better cue reliability you will have (from my experience)

e.g. i collect my leads from hall, go into lounge sit down and wait for automatic ‘sit’ cue.  i dont allow them any movement in this cue all i allow is bonnie to whine a little because she does get excited and i cant seem to stop that.

if they sit still for the whole of lead putting on then we move on to next step, if not we back to square 1 back as much as i feel is nessesary and we start again.  once we have leads on i stand up again NO moving allowed and get them in heel-close and say slowly walk on and make them wait through hall door and again through front door and again while i lock door.  then i settle them both next to me and say heel-close walk on and we go 🙂

the next thing i usually say is bonnie heel-close as her little nose stretches and stretches give her an inch and she’d take u for walks even after 15mths.  if i am walking bonnie alone she’s better – muppet boy distracts her as he is a bit more sensitive to my voice and will lag behind if my cues are really firm and i end up saying bonnie heel close will walk on !!!!  tooo confusing !!!!!

then add in the buggy and wills takes cue from my leg or bonnie depending on how good my mgt is and bonnie takes her cue from me if i test it but buggy if i dont !!!

Claire x

kk_xing

sounds very confusing lol  😀

Anonymous

yep – i used to trip over them both and say the wrong cues and still forget to praise them !!!

mind you if i say anything in a lifted voice bonnie will break cue sometimes so even my praise is a bit glum sounding !!!!

claire x

kk_xing

yeh xing does that if she’s healing nicely and looks up to me for reassurance and i say good girl she tries to pull lmao

Anonymous

its because that is a signal to her to break cue (ie: that the exercise has ended)

i get round it by using a calm voice and saying good

claire x

Anonymous

try walking my lot and a pram  ::)

some idiots still expect you to go round them

kk_xing

[quote author=rooooooooby link=topic=8426.msg178154#msg178154 date=1192086838]
    its because that is a signal to her to break cue (ie: that the exercise has ended)

i get round it by using a calm voice and saying good

claire x
    [/quote]
    yeh, i wish there was a quick fix solution but so does everyone but its gonna be fun these up and coming weeks/months etc lmao

how many doggies is that wags? 4?? and a pram??? some people  ::)

wagthedog

I found this link on youtube where they train dogs to co exist with cats and some might find this interesting and controversial . They have several videos and you will have to pick through them. I hope this helps.

Type in “darnfar” on the youtube search engine .

cheers
    http://www.youtube.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY9glLMzg3Y

Do i see prong collars?
    That cat was lucky to get away, irresponsible!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abORxeAh7xw

Dont like this either!  >:(

.dodger.

that poor cattle dog looked stressed to hell the poor thing 🙁

both of those video’s are just examples of people using the same method Ceaser (sp) Milan uses >:( and that cat was very lucky to get away 😮

*Lassie*

With the cattle dog it looked like she was nipping the artery in the neck up under the jaw, if she was this would cause the dog to black out 🙁 :-X

.dodger.

[quote author=*Lassie* link=topic=8426.msg230740#msg230740 date=1216238529]
    With the cattle dog it looked like she was nipping the artery in the neck up under the jaw, if she was this would cause the dog to black out 🙁 :-X
    [/quote]
    sounds like the stuff the leerburg (sp) guy was promoting >:(

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime