Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Treats for Puppies!!??

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Treats for Puppies!!??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi there,

Sorry, I really am a novice at this sort of thing… I was in the shop the other day getting more treats for Izzy… This is probably a really stupid question, but is she allowed things like a rawhide bones etc to chew on?? There’s nothing on the packs that say otherwise…

Thanks

Ben

Izzie

Rawhide contains arsnic(sp?)

best treats are homecooked stuff, chicken, dried liver, liver cake, tuna bread, black pudding (dog chocolate).

Try to avoid cheese and hotdogs as they have a large amount of salt in them, which isnt any good for young pups.

GSPmad

rawhide isΒ  :-X :-X :-X . Not a substance I’m fond of. πŸ˜‰ i think there are threads on here re treats – will have a looki….

https://www.resources.dogclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3389.0

Anonymous

Ok phew glad I didn’t buy one!

At the moment, she likes… hmm… Yo uknow what I’ve got no idea what they are called! They come in a yellow box… look like sausage rolls… They are her BIG treats… I generally carry around with me a small bag of her hills science plan chicken flavour food (tiny round biscuits)… she goes nuts for them…

Hmm… I’ve just had a thought… Is it bad to use her normal food as tit bits though??

Ben

Izzie

using her food is a bit boring for her, use higher value treats.Β  πŸ˜‰ You will get better responses from her.

You planning on keeping on hills?

Methinks you have a lot of reading to do! πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜€

Anonymous

Urgh… What’s wrong with hills!?!?

GSPmad

they are called markies. i used to feed them to mine but now try to avoid as the ingredients aint all that.Β  πŸ™‚

you will find that a lot of people on here feed raw food. i am not one of them – but more because i am not capable of managing my own diet let alone my dogs.Β  πŸ˜€

i do feed dry – but i wouldn’t feed hills personally – i know it’s branded as 8\10 vets recomend or whatever – but….

(and if you were going to ask i feed james wellbeloved.)

there are some posts i can dig up re the raw feeding stuff if you’re interested.Β  πŸ™‚

as to your question – no problem with feeding bits of normal diet as treats – though poss not very exciting when it’s hills dried!Β  πŸ™‚

Izzie

If you did a survey on here, you will find 90% of members feed natural, raw and homecooked foods rather than processed dried food.

Have a look in stickies for Bev’s on a rant. Β πŸ˜‰

GSPmad

https://www.resources.dogclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3257.0

https://www.resources.dogclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3650.0

have a look at these.Β  πŸ™‚

ETA – think we thinking along same lines izzie.Β  πŸ˜‰

Anonymous

Ok… so… I’ve waked into a minefield… I’m completely overwhelmed…

Anonymous

Hi,

Sorry Izzie but that just isnt true !

I bet it is more like 90% of members feed regular dog food that you’d find at the supermarket, perhaps 5% feed the better dog foods available from pet stores or feed merchants and the remaining 5% (if that) probably feed a mix of raw/natural/homecooked foods.

I dont feed a raw / natural diet because I just cannot cope with all the faff !!

That said, you can do better than Hills for your wee one πŸ™‚Β  If you are an “against animal testing” type of guy then have a look at burns or trophy premium chicken, if you are a not that fussed type then as GSP says james wellbeloved is as good as burns i think.Β  i’ve fed both JWB and Burns in the past and am thinking about swapping back to them.

Claire x

GSPmad

[quote author=Crafty1980 link=topic=12067.msg231989#msg231989 date=1216806860]
    Ok… so… I’ve waked into a minefield… I’m completely overwhelmed…
    [/quote]

no – a learning curve.Β  ;D ;D

as i said – i feed commercial dried – james wellbeloved – but wouldn’t touch hills with a bargepole.Β  πŸ™‚

Izzie

It was an estimate Claire πŸ™‚

[quote author=GSPmad link=topic=12067.msg231987#msg231987 date=1216806517]

ETA – think we thinking along same lines izzie.Β  πŸ˜‰
    [/quote]

Yep yep yep! Β πŸ˜€

Anonymous

yep – just hit a nerve as i am getting a bit sick of feeling like i’m not good enough because i want to put my dogs back on dry complete.Β  >:D

Izzie

[quote author=piglet link=topic=12067.msg231995#msg231995 date=1216807541]
    yep – just hit a nerve as i am getting a bit sick of feeling like i’m not good enough because i want to put my dogs back on dry complete.Β  Β >:D
    [/quote]

I didnt know you where thinking of changing over Claire.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime