Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

UBILICAL HERNIA

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health UBILICAL HERNIA

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Roma

I have a 4month old shih tzu .. boy. He has an umbilical hernia. Does anyone know if these are hereditary. I dont want to breed him but I have an ongoing dispute with the breeder for this and a few other things and could do with some advice. I have had 2 vet checks and they both said different things. Any comments would be appreciated.

They can be hereditary, yes.  With males i think, if its hereditary, they can also have other problems, like cryptorchidism (only one testicle descends) or things like heart problems!  🙁

Val

Sometimes cutting the umbilical cord too close at birth can cause an umbilical hernia but this is extremly rare, it is generally considered an inherited defect/
    I would also be worried if I had not seen an up to date eye test on both parents.
    Would love to know what the vets do not agree on
    Val

[quote author=Roma link=topic=15079.msg274726#msg274726 date=1268294837]
    I have a 4month old shih tzu .. boy. He has an umbilical hernia. Does anyone know if these are hereditary. I dont want to breed him but I have an ongoing dispute with the breeder for this and a few other things and could do with some advice. I have had 2 vet checks and they both said different things. Any comments would be appreciated.
    [/quote]

IsaB

Bit late with a reply but new to these boards.

The breeder called me couple of weeks before I collected my puppy (mini schnauzer) to tell that on her visit to the vet, an umbilical hernia had been found.  It was though that this particular hernia was due to the mother over-licking after birth.  Breeder offered me another dog but I had already chosen mine so refused.  The vet operated on her at the same time as she was spayed.  She’s four and a half now and a joy.

yalik

Hi Roma,
    Umbilical hernia is hereditary, no doubt about it. It is however so common in this breed that the kennel club is accepting it as being normal or at least not discriminating against it. this is why you have recieved different opinions about it.

Some will tell you that the parents do not have it and the rest of the litter was normal so it must be for some other reason. further, some may say the pup was completely normal when you got it.

Well the hernia could not be felt but it was there and only became bigger as the pup grown.  The reason why it could not be felt is beacause the fat in the belly did not protrude through the hole at that time, and as the pup grew the hole became bigger and the fet in the abdomen heavyer. It can also skeep generations.

If it is small it dose not need correction and has no health implications. your dog is going to be perfectliy fine with it. many peple will elect to correct the hernia at a time of castration or any other surgical procedure. Other will let it be.
    Hope this helps. let me know about the other issues you had problems withI may have an idea.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime