Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Visual cues

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training Visual cues

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    puppyblues

Is there such things as formal hand signals for training? I have found Scooby has trouble switching from my voice to my sons voice. Yet will do things for my son when he puts his hand in different positions.
    His down seems to be cued to my hand in a fist holding a treat on the floor. Rather than me saying down.
    So as I want us all to help out in the training maybe this would be easier. (as I fall about laughing at my son copying my girly tone)

xtine

Bev will be able to give you better advice than me on this but we have verbal and visual cues..eg down is “down” and index finger pointing to the floor, sit is index finger pointing up, “come” is a full hand of fingers (?) with the back of hand facing dog…. hope that helps a little?

puppyblues

Thank you xtine  ;D

i dont think there are any ‘offical’ hand signals but mine are:
    Down – point to the floor with index finger
    Flat (were they are laid flat on thier side) – down signal then tap the floor with index finger
    Sit – point up with back of hand facing dog
    come – arms wide (like your an airoplane)
    Stay – flat palm facing dog, policeman style
    Wait – point at were dog is
    Away – sweep arm accross body and point were dog should go

i think thats is 😀

Sweetypye

Dogs will always take their cue from body language first; one of the “tests” to see if a dog understands verbal cues is to give them out of sight!

In order to facilitate dogs putting their ears on, once the dog has learned the body language cue, precede it by the verbal one, wait a second and follow up with body language. NEVER say and do a cue simultaneously.

this way you can transfer behaviours between cues, the same applies with a whistle.

For example, if you were working a dog on film you would use body signals out of camera shot so your voice was not caught on the soundtrack; in the home you would use a verbal cue and in a field 300 yards a way you would use a whistle.

Same behaviour but on three different cues appropriate to the environment.

puppyblues

Thank you guys. Sounds like you all dothe same signs, and sweetypye it makes sense now. I was double cuing him speech and body language. Now I will remember to wait a second in between. Does he hear the word or the tone in your voice?.

people believe that dogs hear the sound not the word that is produced but i like to believe that my boy can understand me ;D

Sweetypye

Again you can test your dog as to tone or word.

I often teach my clients in Arabic to give them an understanding of what a dog does not understand!  :educated:

xtine

😀 good one Sweetypye  ;D

We thought we were being smart by discussing the squirrel that frequented our garden in french… Fritz now knows the French word and not the English  :surrender:  😀

puppyblues

Wow multilingual dogs  ;D

kizkiznobite

have emailed you my cue sheet

puppyblues

Thank you

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime