Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

what is this conditioning lark them ???

Home Archive Forums Sticky subjects Those questions that keep on getting asked what is this conditioning lark them ???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi,

This is my two penneth on operant conditioning.

operant conditioning

This theory was proposed by B. F. Skinner and he did alot of the early “experiments” to back it up.  It is worthwhile mentioning at this point, the British Psychological Society (BPS) now have strict guidelines on both animal and human “experimentation”.

Skinner’s theory which he called “operant conditioning” proposed that learning is present during a change in behaviour.  These changes in behaviour are a response to something which has happened in the environment (a stimuli) the behavioural change is marking (a response) that the stimuli has been processed and if a regular consistant response occurs over time that behaviour is then learned.  The key to achieving this is marking what you want (re-inforcement) which will in turn make it more likely to happen in the future.

One of Skinner’s additional proposals (as opposed to earlier models) was that a person or animal can offer a behaviour without it having to be triggered by the environment.  I think this is the basis of free shaping where you trap a behaviour that a person or animal offers you and add the cue afterwards.

So, to recap …

we have “stimulus” — “response”

to strengthen this you use positive re-inforcement
    to weaken this you elicit a different response

to get some more complicated behaviours you need to break them down into small parts and link them together – called shaping

re-inforcement will induce secondary conditioning

. . . more when i have time 🙂

Anonymous

Yer right, OK, as you like, whatever ;D

Anonymous

Hey … I tried to keep it simple 🙂

you dont have to worry about this your lot learn from the older dogs !  they will be offering behaviours and getting re-inforced or ignored in their pack all day long 🙂

Claire x

kizkiznobite

mmmm interesting – not sure pekes go for ignoring – more like re-enforcment ‘now – errm i said ‘now’ – ‘didnt you hear me NOW’  ;D

Anonymous

They have their own rules Victoria is top peke ShishI is just happy if a beardie needs putting in it’s place Victoria sends Shishi in to get order, Mel just bouncies with whoever lets her sometimes the beardies sometimes the pekes but the real overall boss is still Laya
    Val

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=3640.msg47150#msg47150 date=1150218028]
    mmmm interesting – not sure pekes go for ignoring – more like re-enforcment ‘now – errm i said ‘now’ – ‘didnt you hear me NOW’  ;D
    [/quote]

kizkiznobite

i just love watching a girl pack ;D it was the ‘girlie’ pack of beagles i used to care for – by comparison the boys were boring – doG help any of them that came to the kennel doors before the boss dog and when the nearly mature girlie pups were added …… ;D ;D great fun – but out in the field the pack order used to change – the boss dog was still the boss dog but the rest did a shuftie – fascinating – anyone else ever heard the pack howl of a pack of beagles? they make fox hounds sound wimpish  ;D ;D

Anonymous

aww val and kiz i love reading all that stuff!!! 🙂

Anonymous

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=3640.msg47160#msg47160 date=1150219131]
    i just love watching a girl pack ;D it was the ‘girlie’ pack of beagles i used to care for – by comparison the boys were boring – doG help any of them that came to the kennel doors before the boss dog and when the nearly mature girlie pups were added …… ;D ;D great fun – but out in the field the pack order used to change – the boss dog was still the boss dog but the rest did a shuftie – fascinating – anyone else ever heard the pack howl of a pack of beagles? they make fox hounds sound wimpish  ;D ;D
    [/quote]

beagle hounds sure can make a racket BUT our fell packs sure arnt wimpish

kizkiznobite

naw – cause they not – but when in full howl the beagles take it everytime ;D then they just sound wimpish haha

Anonymous

I heard that at the Dialynne beagles kennels a few years ago now what a row ::)

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=3640.msg47248#msg47248 date=1150229397]
    naw – cause they not – but when in full howl the beagles take it everytime ;D then they just sound wimpish haha
    [/quote]

simonhorton

“Dont shoot the dog” by Karen Pyror is a great book on conditioning. Works on lesser animals, like humans, too.

kizkiznobite

hi and welcome

it sure is – the one i always rec. 🙂

Anonymous

but its sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo dull  ::)

*Lassie*

Someone recommended this book ~ Jean Donaldson’s book the Culture Clash What do you think Kiz?

Anonymous

its good but again

soooooooooooooooo dull

if you send it back to me you can borrow mine

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime