Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Worming and fleas and skin- not urgent

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Worming and fleas and skin- not urgent

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    kizkiznobite

get a skin scrape done for your own peace of mind at least

Anonymous

I agree with Bev, just walk in and tell them what you want don’t wasye your money on crap shampoo we have better here.
    I would just like to rule out Mange or if it is we can treat it
    Don’t be fobbed off you are the one paying their wages not the other way round
    Val

Thanks Val Bev and Suz, we are going to go tomorrow and will let you know re outcome, feel happier now you have said if mange we can treat it because I just know they’ll suggest something chemical when something natural would do just as well?  I will make a note of what they suggest and ask here like I did the last time, they were a bit funny about it but hey, it saved £15 on a shampoo we didn’t need.

Anonymous

I have many Witchy Woo and what the modern vet would call old fashioned cures  ;D
    Good Luck
    Val

[quote author=TobyTeaCosy and Angela link=topic=11873.msg227745#msg227745 date=1214923007]
    Thanks Val Bev and Suz, we are going to go tomorrow and will let you know re outcome, feel happier now you have said if mange we can treat it because I just know they’ll suggest something chemical when something natural would do just as well?  I will make a note of what they suggest and ask here like I did the last time, they were a bit funny about it but hey, it saved £15 on a shampoo we didn’t need.
    [/quote]

Awww yep good luck and let us know how you get on  :-*

OK, it not mange, vet talked to me on phone just now, says we have a few options and I would like some advice so I have a few more points to think about as am a bit unsure. 

Vet doesn’t know what it is, could be allergy which could explain why his eyes been sticky too.  Could be ringworm, did lamptest but nothing showed but she still thinks it could be, could be something else, fungal etc.  TBH I expected them not to know of not mange

We could give anti bi, or anti bi and steroids, for two weeks [though she did say it can be up to 8weeks for antibis to work], wait and see if we give steroids we expect side effects I suppose as humans and then if need to see dermotoligist we would need to wait to let steroids out of system.  My thinking is that it odd to give two meds when don’t know what it is, so she says one other option, to do biopsies but he needs GA and she recommends as the next resort if antibi and steroids don’t work.

Obv cost implications on my mind, but hey, we can deal, other than that am thinking do we give antibi alone, antibi plus steroids or do neither, is like picking at a scab, if I didn’t know any better I’d have gone along with their recs but don’t like the idea of treating we don’t know what with an it might clear up with…  Also asked about homeopathic, vet said yes for bruising/muscle complaints, if this was her dog she’d have to treat medical first and most would agree, am I overcomplicating things here?

Any thoughts?  Alex thinks we should do antibi and steroids, I just want to get some views so I can keep sensible for my dog

Also they a bit funny about him never having had flea and worm treatment, felt had to be honest incase we not giving the full picture, when I explained if we see signs of worms I will do naturally she  😮 even asked other vets, they’d never heard of it  :-\  Is a minefield and TBH I don’t yet have the knowledge to know what to do!

GSPmad

have they suggested doing a hair pluck to send to the lab for ringworm? (lamp test doesn’t show all types  😉 ).

if it’s not a big problem for him – ie he’s not going bald or ripping himself to bits – i would personally do none of what they’ve suggested for now – put up pics of all the areas he has problems with and see what bev and val have to say.  🙂

oh and diet – could be reacting to something in his food – might be worth trying exclusion type diet like i think suz has done with honey and kerrie is doing with stan.  😉 just some thoughts.

oh – and have you got him on piriton?

and worm wise – don’t think you will always see signs – think bev gets faecal tests done?

steroids are not something you want to give unless you absolutely have to (says she who sometimes takes them). and flea wise – do you use val’s grooming spray stuff – that is supposed to repel fleas & other insects i think.

sorry if you’ve posted all this before, can’t remember and am rather braindead today.

She did start off about the hairpluck, and did do a pluck whilst she did the scrape but on phone she said she not thinking it ringworm now so I don’t know.  I tried leaving it, tried aloe etc but it han’t started to clear and the ear patches have gotten slightly bigger, am finding it difficult to decide really because I suppose there are so many things it could be.  Did strike me as odd they didn’t ask what we feed etc to eliminate that way. 

GSPmad

even if she doesn’t think it’s ringowrm if it was my dog i would still want it ruling out.  🙂

sorry to hear about poor toby, hope hes feeling better soon :-*

when i took stan to the vets they wanted to give him steroids and anti bs aswell but i did turn them down. i would agree with gsp though about getting a pluck test done to be on the safe side 🙂

i had to tell my vet what i was feeding stan because they didnt ask either, try looking at his food aswell just incase its something there

hope you find what it is :-*

Merry

This reminded me of a question I wanted to ask about worming so hope it fits in here- do people who don’t worm have faecal tests done?  I’ve seen them mentioned and I was wondering if this is necessary?

Hope Toby is feeling better soon!  :-*  Sukey has been to the vets today and had a skin scrape done – unnecessarily really!  For demodectic mange because OH was at the vets and mentioned her fur seemed to be getting quite thin.  Vet said bring her in because v common in staffy’s (and she a staffy X)- put our minds at rest I suppose and vet recommended we try Evening Primrose Oil.  So hopefully is nothing, she’s in her summer coat and we worry too much!  But will be keeping a close eye on her and looking for any recommendations on here if she loses any more!  Good luck with getting to the bottom of Toby’s problem – I’m sure with the help of people on the board you’ll get there!  :-* 🙂

I agree with Val that doesnt look like ring worm.

Ok Angela – recently groomed a border terrier she has exactly the same symptoms as TOby – all round her eyes, her vet has been less than helpful apart from charging over £100 for medicine thats done sod all – including eye drops  ::) anyway getting to the point (because there is one!!!) a week before this started the dog had a food change……………… 😉

Umm so yes whats he eating – give us a list go on we like to see  😉 and have you changed anything recently?

Its a bugger I know…… :-*

Anonymous

As I said before it ain’t ringworm now we know it’s not mange we will go forward.
    I am thinking both food and to spray him with Neems that site that Lassie put up last night looked good as they have a spray already mixed.
    Val

Anonymous

Are there such things as skin speciallists at vets?

Yep I think so………

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime